Thread: '12 Adv 990 R gear shift lever/gearbox failure - need diagnosis

Userid

Default '12 Adv 990 R gear shift lever/gearbox failure - need diagnosis

Went for an easy gravel road ride on Sunday. About 6 miles of pavement then a second and third gear slow ride up the mountain. I started noticing I was missing shifts and hitting neutral often, I have some relatively new Sidis that I'm still breaking in, so I figured it was me. We pulled over 45 min into the ride and I could tell something was weird trying to find neutral. I hop off the bike and the gear shift lever has good three-plus inches of play. It stays at the top or bottom of the lever range when I shift. I found neutral, was able to shift from first to second with a long throw, and rode down the mountain. It went into third when I got to the street so I limped home on the back roads. Oil is fresh and full. Been out the last three weekends with no issues. I searched the internet and cannot find this particular issue. Long-throw, the lever is tight on the spindle, shifts from first through at least third, it did seem like it may have found a false neutral whilst trying to shift before I realized I had a big problem. Any LC8 folks heard of such a thing? Thanks

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Default Re: '12 Adv 990 R gear shift lever/gearbox failure - need diagnosis

After closer inspection, the lever throw is more like 6 inches.

Userid

Open the clutch cover first, if you can't see the problem you'll have to split the cases.

Userid

Are you certain the bolt holding the lever on is not loose?? The lever attaches to a shaft that runs thru the case, on the other end of the shaft is an arm that is mig welded to the shaft, the arms travel is limited by the case, that is not going to increase so you have two options, the levers bolt is loose or the weld on the other end of that shaft is broken.
    Other option but will not increase lever travel is bolt that attaches the shift selector to the **** rum is loose, that will mess up shifting but can not increase lever movement
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member