Thread: "It's a long ways down boys and girls"

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default "It's a long ways down boys and girls"

45 seconds of yet another epic ride. There will be life post Covid. It will include riding....

https://youtu.be/tFu1KiSa1dE

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Default Re: "It's a long ways down boys and girls"

Quote Originally Posted by 7thirtyseven View Post
    45 seconds of yet another epic ride. There will be life post Covid. It will include riding....

https://youtu.be/tFu1KiSa1dE
    Awesome! I remember ridge riding in Colorado one trip. Definitely increases the pucker factor. Used to be a national enduro in Phoenix I used to race in. There was a section called the shelf. It was a huge desert bowl you rode around for miles. The trail was about 2-3 feet wide. To the right was rocks going up. To the left was about a 6 foot drop off then several hundred feet of steep slope. My thoughts during that section were, 1, am I going to survive and 2, if I drop my bike off the trail is there any possibility I could get it back on the trail. I made it. I think I was the most exhausted ever after that race.
    2003 KTM 450exc/540 Supermoto
    2000 KTM 300exc Gone
    1994 KTM 440exc gone
    1991 KTM 300exc gone
    1988 KTM 350exc gone

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Awesome! I remember ridge riding in Colorado one trip. Definitely increases the pucker factor. Used to be a national enduro in Phoenix I used to race in. There was a section called the shelf. It was a huge desert bowl you rode around for miles. The trail was about 2-3 feet wide. To the right was rocks going up. To the left was about a 6 foot drop off then several hundred feet of steep slope. My thoughts during that section were, 1, am I going to survive and 2, if I drop my bike off the trail is there any possibility I could get it back on the trail. I made it. I think I was the most exhausted ever after that race.
    I've ridden the Shelf trail many times and I used to think it was pretty intimidating. After moving back to Idaho and riding sidehill trails on every ride for a few years, I got to ride the Shelf trail again. Complete non event. I actually thought we weren't on the Shelf trail at first. Even the switchback at one end of the trail seemed much easier.
    2020 TE300i

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus73 View Post
    I've ridden the Shelf trail many times and I used to think it was pretty intimidating. After moving back to Idaho and riding sidehill trails on every ride for a few years, I got to ride the Shelf trail again. Complete non event. I actually thought we weren't on the Shelf trail at first. Even the switchback at one end of the trail seemed much easier.
    Problem for me is I live in the midwest. They consider Interstate Highway overpasses big hills.
    2000 KTM 300exc Gone
    1994 KTM 440exc gone
    1991 KTM 300exc gone
    1988 KTM 350exc gone

Userid

[QUOTE=7thirtyseven;5500083]45 seconds of yet another epic ride. There will be life post Covid. It will include riding....

(QUOTE]

Is this in Alberta?
    On many long journeys have I gone. And waited, too, for others to return from journeys of their own. Some return; some are broken; some come back so different only their names remain.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

[QUOTE=filterx;5500179]

(QUOTE]

Is this in Alberta?
    Yes, but getting very close to BC...

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That stuff does play games with your mind. We have alot of steep stuff, most of the time you can't see the slope because of the trees. One year I purposefully built a section of trail that had a steep turn down into a sidehill that was sparingly treed... You could see that the slope didn't end for a long ways. The flack I got from the guys helping me was heavy "this is just the pros, right?" "No everyone". "You can't run Bs here" "Yes they can bulldog if they're scared"
    It wasn't hard at all, but visually intimidating.

Userid

That stuff does play games with your mind. We have alot of steep stuff, most of the time you can't see the slope because of the trees. One year I purposefully built a section of trail that had a steep turn down into a sidehill that was sparingly treed... You could see that the slope didn't end for a long ways. The flack I got from the guys helping me was heavy "this is just the pros, right?" "No everyone". "You can't run Bs here" "Yes they can bulldog if they're scared"
    It wasn't hard at all, but visually intimidating.
    Sounds like glade skiing. I agree on the looks worse than it is syndrome. Many times I have looked at a hill or steep downhill and thought no f'ing way. After dogging my way through it the thought was usually "well that wasn't so bad". It's the fear of not knowing right before you get into enough of it that you think you have it covered. Then there are the other times where it was just a poor decision and you pay for it The challenge is what it's all about in riding for me. Most of the time i win, sometimes I lose, and sometimes I lose big.
    2000 KTM 300exc Gone
    1994 KTM 440exc gone
    1991 KTM 300exc gone
    1988 KTM 350exc gone

Userid

They say dirt bike trail riding is a full body workout; go to Idaho and you'll get a full mind/brain workout that's just as good! Sidehillin'/steep switchbackin' is to Idaho like water is to the sea, can't have one without the other.