Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buy new, buy used, avoid all together? KTM 50 mini

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: Buy new, buy used, avoid all together? KTM 50 mini

Got a new 60cc top end and HD clutch springs coming for the PW. Put some Mika bars on it. The kid is at a really good size at the moment for the PW. Able to paddle his feet in tough situations with sand or trails. So we will see. Ive heard people say their kids favorite years is the one where they are too big for the bike and manhandle it. So we will see. Hopefully buy a couple more months with the PW. Turns 5 this week.

Sand track and trails at a local place

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

I officially left the 50cc squad this past thursday. handed it off to my buddy for his 5 year old son. We traded a near brand new condition yamaha TTR110 he had for my 2015 KTM 50sx, and he added 300$ to boot. Felt it was a fair deal. Then I sold him my spare parts stash for another 325$.... Had 5 extra stators, 3 new FMF silencers, a new header pipe, enough clutch parts to build 4 more clutches, a complete spare engine, and a ton of gaskets and bearings etc... even a pair of new tires. I just wanted all that stuff GONE!!!

In all honesty, the 50 only gave me trouble once, was hard to start the day before a race, and hard to start the morning of race day. My girl said it cut off once or twice in her harescramble race but she did finish and actually almost won her class, only lost by like 3 seconds. Turned out the stator was on its way out.... Replaced the stator and it runs like new again. Other than that and replacing a chain and a set of rear brake pads and one back tire, she got quite a bit of riding out of it without much issue.

We got her on the TTR for now, and my 11 year old son is moved up to the TTR125, so the KTM 65sx he was riding it sitting idle now. I will wait till she can touch the ground good on it and kick start it, and when she can, she will ride it. But till then, its no more mixing gas, no more fouled plugs, and minimal wrenching
    2018 350 XCF
    2013 350 XCF
    2008 BMW 1200 GS
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    My bikes

Kids bikes
    Yamaha TTR125
    KTM 65SX
    Yamaha TTR110
    KTM 50sx

40A class racer - Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding / racing and Gnarly trails

Youtube - GyroRon

Facebook - Ron Awad

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Love the video, I can watch the kids all day.

My son was 5 and riding quite aggressively on the PW. He was standing up and jumping really well, good overall form for a 5 year old. The problem was the suspension and bottoming out or getting a little sketchy at the higher speeds. I considered the suspension kit and foot brake for the PW but figured that was going to be about $1500 I would never recover. For his 6th birthday I got him a brand new 2019 50 mini, and then started reading into it more. It has a lot more hit to it than the PW but after backing it off to 2 clicks that was really all I needed to do. Each day out I would go up 1 click until we hit 7, now he seems happy. We ride mostly in the mountains and have never had a problem with it other than being hard to start once when it got hot but never boiled over. Idle seems to need tinkering each time out but that's pretty easy. Gotta say overall it's been good but a lot more maintenance, oil changes, air filter, etc.

The suspension is way better which is important to me. He doesn't bottom out and it takes the rough stuff a lot better which in turn makes him more confident. The big thing that was tough for him to get was the foot brake, I would almost suggest doing the conversion to the PW before moving onto the faster bikes. Hindsight I think I would still buy it again.

Sean

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

When I bought this PW, the previous owner sent me a foot brake for it. They had all kinds of issues with it and called it worthless. one of the big things I guess was a lack of return spring.

Ive been giving the new DaVinci Resolve 17 a run by taking all the videos I made over the year and grabbing clips. Im glad I took alot of videos. Its quite the progression the kid had over summer. Stopping and starting was something we had to practice at. Now its learning to ride sand and dealing with roots.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Took the kid to an indoor track this weekend. What an experience for him and me talking to other parents. Serious race parents were all about the Cobras. The few I talked to with KTM mini's said they were great bikes. One guy even said when his daughter is off it, he was going to drain the fluids and put the bike up on the wall because of the success they had with it and his 2 kids.

There is definitely a difference in the clutches between Cobra and KTM. Cobras free wheel where as KTM's have engine braking. If you are not racing, I think the idea of engine braking sounds a heck of a lot better. What does seem to be attractive is the size of a Cobra JR. more suspension, but barely bigger than a P3/Mini. I dont know if you can lower a 50sx or if a mini makes more sense for that time between. PW to 50sx is a huge leap

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Axlbundy View Post
    Took the kid to an indoor track this weekend. What an experience for him and me talking to other parents. Serious race parents were all about the Cobras. The few I talked to with KTM mini's said they were great bikes. One guy even said when his daughter is off it, he was going to drain the fluids and put the bike up on the wall because of the success they had with it and his 2 kids.

There is definitely a difference in the clutches between Cobra and KTM. Cobras free wheel where as KTM's have engine braking. If you are not racing, I think the idea of engine braking sounds a heck of a lot better. What does seem to be attractive is the size of a Cobra JR. more suspension, but barely bigger than a P3/Mini. I dont know if you can lower a 50sx or if a mini makes more sense for that time between. PW to 50sx is a huge leap
    That's awesome. Did you go to Cedar Lake Arena? I was there last weekend with my son on his KTM 85 Saturday and Sunday. That place is awesome and he had a blast. We're going to race all 4 indoor races this winter there.
    2016 KTM 85SX
    2019 Husqvarna TC65
    2008 KTM 65SX
    2008 KTM 250SX-F
    2010 MV Agusta 1090 Brutale RR
    2009 Ducati 1198S

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Yep! I was there saturday riding the old 200, and brought the kid sunday

The first time out, they had the 85's and 65's with the 50's and I think it was a little intimidating at first. Like standing still in the freeway. Fortunately he figured it out and had a great time by the 3rd time out. Asking about going back again. I got hooked up with a group that rents it Thursday nights so I think thats when we will try to be regulars. Me and one of my buddies are thinking about trying to do at least the first race (not that we are good) for achievement/goals purposes/

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Axlbundy View Post
    Yep! I was there saturday riding the old 200, and brought the kid sunday

The first time out, they had the 85's and 65's with the 50's and I think it was a little intimidating at first. Like standing still in the freeway. Fortunately he figured it out and had a great time by the 3rd time out. Asking about going back again. I got hooked up with a group that rents it Thursday nights so I think thats when we will try to be regulars. Me and one of my buddies are thinking about trying to do at least the first race (not that we are good) for achievement/goals purposes/
    That's awesome, I remember seeing your son. He rode awesome for such a little guy on a track with huge jumps lol. My son is at 0:15 of the video with the rainbow TLD helmet going into the turn. I wish I weren't 6hrs away or i'd pitch in for track rentals.
    2016 KTM 85SX
    2019 Husqvarna TC65
    2008 KTM 65SX
    2008 KTM 250SX-F
    2010 MV Agusta 1090 Brutale RR
    2009 Ducati 1198S

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Awesome. PM me next time you guys make the drive up

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123