Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

  1. #11
    Lifetime Team KTMTalk DonS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Userid
    164552
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley TX
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    4

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    andrew good luck with your purchase and please keep us updated.

    I've mostly settled on a Chev fan...Ford lost me with the Transit.

    One thing I'm really interested in is the rear door opening dimension (top to bottom). IE: can you get a bike in there without compressing the forks.
    You are what you do when it counts ― John Steakley, Armor

    Plank owner, Wyatt's Torch Maintenance Department.

    Accept failure as inevitable and it will be.

  2.    Sponsored Links



    LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT


  3. #12
    Lifetime Team KTMTalk
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Userid
    7428
    Location
    Podunk Texas
    Posts
    13,991

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    A video I've seen says yes, guy sure looked like Elvis.

  4. #13
    KTMTalk Member wfopete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Userid
    31491
    Location
    Dover Arkansas
    Posts
    2,576

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    andrew good luck with your purchase and please keep us updated.

    I've mostly settled on a Chev fan...Ford lost me with the Transit.

    One thing I'm really interested in is the rear door opening dimension (top to bottom). IE: can you get a bike in there without compressing the forks.
    I did it all the time but if you run deflectors they may touch just a bit going in (I had rear AC).
    Suffer Fools, Gladly!

    Riding the TAT?
    Check out my TAT SHAK Facebook Page:

    https://www.facebook.com/TAT-SHAK-105697757902214/

    _________________________

    Pete P - wfopete@aol.com
    2006 300XC, 1980 YZ465, 1971 CZ250, 1973 Penton Jackpiner (2), 1970 Hodaka ACE 100, 1974 YZ250, 1973 CR250, 1985 XR350R, 1986 XR250R, 1974 TM400, 1975 TS400, 1974 Husky CR250, 2012 Yamaha Tenere', 1984 KDX200

    Member:
    BRC Lifetime
    AHRMA
    AMA Lifetime
    CCC of Michigan
    Adventure Riders of Arkansas

  5. #14
    Lifetime Team KTMTalk DonS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Userid
    164552
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley TX
    Posts
    5,356
    Images
    4

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    Thanks. I know in 1975 it wasn't a problem...but bikes were a bit lower. HAHA
    You are what you do when it counts ― John Steakley, Armor

    Plank owner, Wyatt's Torch Maintenance Department.

    Accept failure as inevitable and it will be.

  6. #15
    KTMTalk Member GyroRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Userid
    93741
    Location
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    Quote Originally Posted by DonS View Post
    andrew good luck with your purchase and please keep us updated.

    I've mostly settled on a Chev fan...Ford lost me with the Transit.

    One thing I'm really interested in is the rear door opening dimension (top to bottom). IE: can you get a bike in there without compressing the forks.
    Funny thing is, everyone I know that has a ford Transit, loves it.

    I figured the fact that most of them on the road only have a non turbo smallish V6 engine, the power would be weak and people would hate them... But at least for those that aren't trying to use them to tow big trailers, I haven't heard any complaints about power.

    The Dodge vans, promaster or whatever they are called, they too are powered by a somewhat small V6 non turbo engine. Heck they are front wheel drive on top of that! Yet I know several that have those and seem to be very happy with them.

    I'm not a big moto van fan... I would rather have a truck, or a car and pull a trailer... But if I was in the market for a van, I think I would want a van tall enough to stand up in. That pretty much rules out Chevy and the older Fords
    2018 350 XCF
    2013 350 XCF
    2008 BMW 1200 GS
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    My bikes

    Kids bikes
    Yamaha TTR125
    KTM 65SX
    Yamaha TTR110
    KTM 50sx

    40A class racer - Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding / racing and Gnarly trails

    Youtube - GyroRon

    Facebook - Ron Awad

  7. #16
    KTMTalk Member KTM64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Userid
    82805
    Location
    la quinta California
    Posts
    7,621
    Images
    24

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    Box Van with a Chevy 6.0 Cab........ex U-haul or Budget would be perfect.

  8. #17
    KTMTalk Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Userid
    1162
    Location
    waterford Michigan
    Posts
    3,332

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    What was the problem with the Ford 4.6 ?
    Bought an 08 extended Ford e250 with that motor & am getting consistent 17mpg all around
    Runs great at 143,000 miles Guess im lucky ?
    2016 ktm 150sx set-up for mx & offroad

  9. #18
    KTMTalk Member wfopete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Userid
    31491
    Location
    Dover Arkansas
    Posts
    2,576

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    Quote Originally Posted by GyroRon View Post
    But if I was in the market for a van, I think I would want a van tall enough to stand up in. That pretty much rules out Chevy and the older Fords
    It's kinda cool to be able to ride up and inside to load at the end of the day too.
    Suffer Fools, Gladly!

    Riding the TAT?
    Check out my TAT SHAK Facebook Page:

    https://www.facebook.com/TAT-SHAK-105697757902214/

    _________________________

    Pete P - wfopete@aol.com
    2006 300XC, 1980 YZ465, 1971 CZ250, 1973 Penton Jackpiner (2), 1970 Hodaka ACE 100, 1974 YZ250, 1973 CR250, 1985 XR350R, 1986 XR250R, 1974 TM400, 1975 TS400, 1974 Husky CR250, 2012 Yamaha Tenere', 1984 KDX200

    Member:
    BRC Lifetime
    AHRMA
    AMA Lifetime
    CCC of Michigan
    Adventure Riders of Arkansas

  10. #19
    KTMTalk Member GyroRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Userid
    93741
    Location
    Charlotte North Carolina
    Posts
    1,349

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    Quote Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
    It's kinda cool to be able to ride up and inside to load at the end of the day too.

    I have many friends with motovans. I have loaded my bike in their vans and rode with them to races and rides... Ford and Chevy vans... Personally I thought it wasn't all that great. The bike just barely clears the ceiling at the door opening, you had to tilt the bike to the side a bit to get it in, then once in it was ok. There was not enough height to stand up in. The front seats have cramped footwells, and the vans aren't as quiet or comfortable to ride in as a nice truck or car.

    I understand the advantage of the bike is inside the van and more secure than in the bed of a truck, or on a trailer or hitch hauler.

    I understand that for some, there is advantage over pulling a trailer.

    To me, I see that for some folks, the motovan is strictly used as transport for their bike... And oftentimes they started with a used van, that already had been used for work purposes ( so there is less F's given as far as getting it dirty, or dinged up, scratched etc... ) I see the advantage as far as they can load the bike, throw a spare set of wheels, gas jug, some tools, a EZ up, chairs, cooler, supplies like chain lube etc... And have all that crap in the van always. Changing into and out of your gear in a van is still better than outside, even if you can't stand up. I can see the advantages in that respect.

    For me, I don't see the value in buying, insuring, and maintaining a vehicle just to use on the weekends to haul the bike. I can bring my bike, and my gear, a EZ up and a few chairs, etc... all in the trunk of my car and on a small trailer, same car I use to go to dinner with, or drive on our vacation, or whatever else I need to do.

    But like I said, unless I just wanted to spent as little as possible, and then your kind of stuck with having to choose a older Chevy or Ford van, if I had my mind made up that I HAD to have a motovan, then I would want a high top roofed van for sure. Especially if I was a vendor of some sorts, and was going to places to offer support or sell products.
    2018 350 XCF
    2013 350 XCF
    2008 BMW 1200 GS
    2015 Yamaha FZ-07
    My bikes

    Kids bikes
    Yamaha TTR125
    KTM 65SX
    Yamaha TTR110
    KTM 50sx

    40A class racer - Harescramble / Enduro
    Love woods riding / racing and Gnarly trails

    Youtube - GyroRon

    Facebook - Ron Awad

  11. #20
    KTMTalk Member Cactus_Flat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Userid
    167569
    Location
    Flagstaff Arizona
    Posts
    1,338

    Default Re: Opinions of Chevy/GMC cargo van, 6.0 or 6.7 engine

    Quote Originally Posted by GyroRon View Post
    I have many friends with motovans. I have loaded my bike in their vans and rode with them to races and rides... Ford and Chevy vans... Personally I thought it wasn't all that great. The bike just barely clears the ceiling at the door opening, you had to tilt the bike to the side a bit to get it in, then once in it was ok. There was not enough height to stand up in. The front seats have cramped footwells, and the vans aren't as quiet or comfortable to ride in as a nice truck or car.

    I understand the advantage of the bike is inside the van and more secure than in the bed of a truck, or on a trailer or hitch hauler.

    I understand that for some, there is advantage over pulling a trailer.

    To me, I see that for some folks, the motovan is strictly used as transport for their bike... And oftentimes they started with a used van, that already had been used for work purposes ( so there is less F's given as far as getting it dirty, or dinged up, scratched etc... ) I see the advantage as far as they can load the bike, throw a spare set of wheels, gas jug, some tools, a EZ up, chairs, cooler, supplies like chain lube etc... And have all that crap in the van always. Changing into and out of your gear in a van is still better than outside, even if you can't stand up. I can see the advantages in that respect.

    For me, I don't see the value in buying, insuring, and maintaining a vehicle just to use on the weekends to haul the bike. I can bring my bike, and my gear, a EZ up and a few chairs, etc... all in the trunk of my car and on a small trailer, same car I use to go to dinner with, or drive on our vacation, or whatever else I need to do.

    But like I said, unless I just wanted to spent as little as possible, and then your kind of stuck with having to choose a older Chevy or Ford van, if I had my mind made up that I HAD to have a motovan, then I would want a high top roofed van for sure. Especially if I was a vendor of some sorts, and was going to places to offer support or sell products.
    Different strokes, for sure. Wife and I picked up an '06 express 3500 with the 6.0 in March and it's been an awesome purchase. I always fantasized about a dedicated motovan for security and convenience of having all my crap, but the purchase was hard to justify until I started learning about camper vans and whatnot. I love camping, not the biggest fan of tents or feeling more or less locked into one location on a trip. I also just don't care for towing over long distances. I can have the bike on a hitch hauler and everything else inside. We installed a fold down bench/bed up front that makes it tight for a bike to fit, but it works and only goes in there for security purposes when needed. No need to cinch the forks down to clear the entrance. A high roof would certainly be nice, but for the huge price differential this has been outstanding as we pretty much only sleep and change clothes inside the thing anyway. The ride is comfortable (footwell is a bit cramped as you mentioned) but with insulation, sound deadening, floors, walls, and ceiling added and loaded down with crap, the ride is actually pretty quiet and it drives smooth on the highway. No, not as nice as my F150, but a lot better than I expected to make it. I've spent around 25 nights camped in the thing since memorial weekend and taken it from Northern AZ to the Sierra Nevadas in CA, Idaho twice, and Colorado with some smaller trips mixed in. It's gonna be killer this winter when I'm changing into my gear inside with the heat cranking on a <20 degree morning. I also really look forward to taking it to some races once that all gets moving again around here. 175K on the ODO and runs great, got a buddy local with a 5.3 with over 300K and no issues. Great simple little vans, but I get they're not the bee's knees for everyone. Just depends what you want out of it.
    Last edited by Cactus_Flat; 09-17-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    '17 250 XC
    '15 500 XCW

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2004 chevy express 1500 cargo van $2500
    By rgerding in forum Sold/Found
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2019, 03:51 PM
  2. Cargo van (Ford or Chevy)
    By Roostn450 in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 05:07 AM
  3. Cargo Van or Truck (opinions)
    By ktmsr2 in forum General Mini Talk (PUBLIC)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 09:52 AM
  4. Chevy Impala - any opinions?
    By Toydeluxe in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •