Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: loss of transmission oil

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: loss of transmission oil

I doubt you are leaking it through the countershaft, you would have oil everywhere, if you are leaking that volume. If you have the little oil checker bolt on the case...bring it up to correct level and ride a hour or so and check it. But from my experience, it definitely sounds like RH crank seal. You mentioned smell...I've actually came up on riders and asked,..do you have a bad crank seal? And like most seals, you can't look at it and tell if its bad...as mentioned previously.
    2018 Six days 450
    2018 Beta evo
    1966 BMW R60
    2013 1200gs Rallye
    2005 bmw boxercup
    2011 KTM 300 xc
    1993 260 beta
    1975 Bultaco T Sherpa
    1982 Honda MB5

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Don't forget that the oil as to be checked with the bike level in a horizontal area.

A few years back after cracking the clutch cover i checked the level and hardly any oil come out.......but i was at the hills and a friend noticed that the bike was not level so it tricked me, bike had plenty of oil.

It could the washer pinion drive.

With time it ends to get with some wear grooves, stops making the correct pressure over the seal/oring and starts to let the oil pass thru.

In this case there was no leak but the washer was spinning, noticed it as i always clean the washer with a rag while spinning the wheel after washing the bike.

This was with 270h but it's possible to have this issue sooner.

There is an easy fix in case that you can't get a new one, in a vice just flip the screw to the opposite side and using the correct ratchet size (don't remember the size but it's around a 22mm) squeeze it untill it's flush again.

Here's a used washer, it as no grooves when it's new..if you order one buy also the screw and by the shape of it you will understand how the system works.

Torqued at 60nm btw..

Last edited by car12; 09-15-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    19 KTM ​300 TPI - S3 Head - FMF Gnarly Powercore 2.1 🔥

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

On our 2014 250 xcw when the RH crank seal was leaking, the engine ran fine except at full throttle when it would pull air instead of oil from the transmission causing a lean condition at full throttle (studder at high RPM). When I checked the main bearings I found that they were worn and the crank shaft had a lot of in and out play.
    Last edited by beech; 09-15-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Userid

This look exactly like the issue I have with my 2021 150SX bought 1 month ago, first oil change at around 1hrs 450 ml of oil drained out.
    Told me dealer forgot to top oil off.
    Poured 800ml of oil, checked if oil was dripping from the bolt and forgot about it.
    Second gear oil change at 9.7hrs, only 300ml of oil drained out this time.
    The bike is still under warranty, the dealer is currently looking at this issue.
    Anyone already saw this on a brand new bike?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

muffler packing looked good, just waiting on some seals and precautionary parts, do the leak test tomorrow.. hopefully nothing to crazy going on..

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by 7270travis View Post
    muffler packing looked good, just waiting on some seals and precautionary parts, do the leak test tomorrow.. hopefully nothing to crazy going on..
    If you are going to a thorough test you should also check the flywheel in and out and radial play. in and out play is easily measured and felt which indicates a worn right side crank roller bearing which will ruin a new seal in short order. The right crank nut must be tight to do this test. Dont forget it is a left hand thread on that nut. Clockwise to loosen.
    Victor

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

pressurized the crankcase and no leaking from anywhere?! I am going to put it back together.. I did buy the die and the UV blacklight, just to see if it really is leaking from somewhere I did not see.. The crank bearings/flywheel is tight. I have a co worker who is really good with engines. He just had a gas gas with a bad r/h crankbearing. On his, the spring inside the seal came off somehow and trashed the bearing.. his bike ran like crap as well..
    Last edited by 7270travis; 09-18-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12