Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 46 yrs old, 200 lbs, stuck in a rut with training

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: 46 yrs old, 200 lbs, stuck in a rut with training

"I did drop 3 lbs this week by just being more focused. I'm going to try to get down to under 200 by Monday by eating healthy & exercising plenty this weekend".

I'm at a loss why you even asked for input, sounds like you have this under control.
    DK

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid
    Images

1500 a day was pretty easy on keto, two eggs 150-200 cal, peice of meat and a dark green veggie 550, same for dinner, two lite beers 200.
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I'm going to start by saying I'm no expert in this. I'm learning myself. I'm retired and I have time. I average 3200 - 3500 calories burned per day. 60 years old, exercise a lot and intensely. My VO max is of an average 20 year old. My goal is to be in good enough shape I can ride my dirtbike and mtn bike well. I learned in my 30s I could hit things hard enough on a dirt bike while not crashing and still hurt myself. Need to be in shape for what we do!

Here we have a guy who wants to get in shape so he can ride hard for an hour straight. Yea if he drops to 1500-1800 calories he will lose weight. If he has the wrong diet doing that he will lose muscle too. If he exercises to an active level the ADA says 91-163 gm of protein a day. Than is a good amount of protein. 15 eggs a day / 90 gms of protein/ 900 calories. That does not look like a path to a heathy life. I don't know athletes who do a big calorie reduction to get strong and fit. Dale I do believe a keto diet can achieve the balance you say but that will be a lifestyle change to stick to it (I especially struggle with the limit of the 2 light beers!)

When I go back and read the original post I just do not see the workouts being done are at the intensity needed to lose weight and gain cardio. Use the same amount of time and bump up the intensity. Yea watch what you eat and you should be able to hit your goals. there are alot of things that require more cardio than riding a dirtbike. If you like the gym go try Orange Theory out. Way better than the normal gym routine. I only know this as I have daughters that use Orange Theory and I visited as a guest. Guess what. The whole routine is done wearing a hear rate monitor. No cheating! If you're not sweating real hard you have more to give.

Userid
    Images

I agree. Limiting calories while trying to gain fitness is not a viable solution for many. We lose mass as we age. I crave protein now at 51 and notice I am losing mass as I age. I am eating more protein and structuring my bike days to have some be more strength oriented vs cardio, endurance.

Once I get my pole barn finoshed, will be adding weights to the mix for upper body. I am finding that if I fuel properly for my workouts, I have an easier time with not overeating later, and can actually eat a little less, just more times per day. Hammer helped me on the endurance and weight side of my fitness.
    2017 Husky TC 250
    2012 200XCW

Past bikes:
    '09 105 XC
    '08 85 XC
    '13 150 SX
    '14 200 W
    '15 150 SX, converted to 200 E start
    '08 65 XC
    '10 300 XC
    '13 350 XCF
    '05 200 EXC #2
    '06 200 W
    '07 85 SX
    '12 350 XCF
    '12 150SX, converted to a 200 SX/W
    '08 200 SXC
    '02 50 SA
    '08 65 SX
    '05 200 EXC
    '05 250 EXC
    '07 250 SX
    '07 250 SXF
    '06 300 XCW
    '04 300 EXC
    A big thanks to FTI Racing!

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by celler View Post
    I'm going to start by saying I'm no expert in this. I'm learning myself. I'm retired and I have time. I average 3200 - 3500 calories burned per day. 60 years old, exercise a lot and intensely. My VO max is of an average 20 year old. My goal is to be in good enough shape I can ride my dirtbike and mtn bike well. I learned in my 30s I could hit things hard enough on a dirt bike while not crashing and still hurt myself. Need to be in shape for what we do!

Here we have a guy who wants to get in shape so he can ride hard for an hour straight. Yea if he drops to 1500-1800 calories he will lose weight. If he has the wrong diet doing that he will lose muscle too. If he exercises to an active level the ADA says 91-163 gm of protein a day. Than is a good amount of protein. 15 eggs a day / 90 gms of protein/ 900 calories. That does not look like a path to a heathy life. I don't know athletes who do a big calorie reduction to get strong and fit. Dale I do believe a keto diet can achieve the balance you say but that will be a lifestyle change to stick to it (I especially struggle with the limit of the 2 light beers!)

When I go back and read the original post I just do not see the workouts being done are at the intensity needed to lose weight and gain cardio. Use the same amount of time and bump up the intensity. Yea watch what you eat and you should be able to hit your goals. there are alot of things that require more cardio than riding a dirtbike. If you like the gym go try Orange Theory out. Way better than the normal gym routine. I only know this as I have daughters that use Orange Theory and I visited as a guest. Guess what. The whole routine is done wearing a hear rate monitor. No cheating! If you're not sweating real hard you have more to give.
    I think you're outside the norm. I understand if you are trying to build muscle you will need more than 1500 cal.
    The original post is kind of all over the place. My comments were toward weight loss.
    Yes, Keto is my lifestyle now. I feel SO much better .

I think OP needs set a more specific target. Why can't he race pace for an hour? Strength, cardio, overweight?
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    I think you're outside the norm. I understand if you are trying to build muscle you will need more than 1500 cal.
    The original post is kind of all over the place. My comments were toward weight loss.
    Yes, Keto is my lifestyle now. I feel SO much better .

I think OP needs set a more specific target. Why can't he race pace for an hour? Strength, cardio, overweight?
    weight is not the issue, or should not be. At this point, based on the original post, IMO, it is conditioning and fueling related. You have to engage in pushing your body past, into the red zone, over and over to get your endurance up, and ride longer rides at less than race pace. It all helps. You need sprints and marathons for conditioning. Then, you need proper fueling so you get the most out of your workouts.

I will say, until I started fueling properly, it was hard to push through the longer days, or harder rides. Having the fuel available for my muscles when I need it allows me to push harder and build both my strength and endurance. Lots of good reading on this at Hammer's website. hammernutrition.com Not the end all be all but lots of good info there whether you use their products or not.

With increased fitness, comes increased metabolism, which allows you to burn more calories during the day and at rest. I am not much on counting calories, but not sure I could go a day on 1500 calories. LOL
    2017 Husky TC 250
    2012 200XCW

Past bikes:
    '09 105 XC
    '08 85 XC
    '13 150 SX
    '14 200 W
    '15 150 SX, converted to 200 E start
    '08 65 XC
    '10 300 XC
    '13 350 XCF
    '05 200 EXC #2