Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 46 yrs old, 200 lbs, stuck in a rut with training

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: 46 yrs old, 200 lbs, stuck in a rut with training

Can you ride more? Your weight loss goal is surely doable.

Get a watch with a heart monitor so you can see how many calories a given exercise does for you. I'm sure some of the things you do have very little calorie burn. The only problem with this is it can be discouraging how few calories get burned.

Back to can you ride more - this is a really good way to burn calories! Especially if you go do some extreme stuff or ride really rough trail. I find it you hammer stuff calorie burn is high. If the trail requires full concentration to be smooth and pick lines calorie burn is not that high.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    They say diet and exercise of coarse but not the importance of each.
    I would say its 90% diet and 10% exercise.

Even someone who gets no exercise can still lose
    Weight if thier diet is in check.
    This is true. Not positive about the actual ratio, but definitely diet trumps exercise. You can get big and fat on the Olympic weight routine plus some Cross-fit, or lose weight watching TV.

FIND SOMETHING FUN!!!

There is no way I could force myself to consistently workout for an hour with a heart rate between 160 - 180. But I will gladly do that every chance I get by riding my dirt bike or surfing. Consistency depends on the enjoyment of the experience. I know some can force themselves to workout while literally hating every moment of it. But most can't. And even if you can, why the heck do that for one second? There are so many activities that will burn calories, and lots of them. Being on this forum you already have one of the most effective right there at the end of your right wrist, and I don't mean Saucing the taco (Beating the bishop, Burping the worm, Auditioning Your Hand Puppet). Braaap!!!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Seems like fitness shouldn't be an issue with your workout routine, but it sounds like you're losing the battle with your fork. You are going to have to cut down on you food intake, don't think more exercise is reasonable with your lifestyle. Start writing down everything you eat each day and the calories, bet you will be surprised. Get it down between 1500-1800, you'll need to fine tune that for your body and metabolism. Don't count on it being easy or there would be a lot of skinny people running around.
    DK

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by shudog View Post
    So I'm 46, 6'-0", 200 lbs and can't seem to make any real progress with training/fitness/weight loss.

I currently do a Nike Fit Club Plyo workout 3x a week which is 20-30 mins of stretching, jumping, core/plank workouts. I feel good after doing it. I also run about 1.5-2 miles at the gym then lift weights 3x a week.

For meals, I eat pretty healthy. I eat fruits & vegetables with almost every meal, no fast food, very little sweets, a couple beers on the weekends.

I know running is the easiest thing to do to lose weight/increase stamina but my knees are not great and I get pain if I do more than about 2 -3 miles at a time.

In terms of fitness, I want to get to 190 and be able to do at least 1 hour of riding at race pace without getting winded. I don't think I'm too far off from that but I am having a hard time breaking through the 200 lb mark.

I don't mind working out but with two kids and work and such, it's hard to really do a lot of cardio work - running more than 3 miles takes almost an hour by the time I leave the house, warm up, run, cool down, stretch, etc
    Look at it this way, in another 10 years or so, you'll say it is what it is. You've peaked, just accept it!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

If its something fun that makes it easier, riding qualifies and for me ice hockey does too.
    I run also but it not the same as doing something fun.
    2005 450 exc
    1996 620 rxc
    1986 250 mxc

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeWill View Post
    This is true. Not positive about the actual ratio, but definitely diet trumps exercise. You can get big and fat on the Olympic weight routine plus some Cross-fit, or lose weight watching TV.

FIND SOMETHING FUN!!!

There is no way I could force myself to consistently workout for an hour with a heart rate between 160 - 180. But I will gladly do that every chance I get by riding my dirt bike or surfing. Consistency depends on the enjoyment of the experience. I know some can force themselves to workout while literally hating every moment of it. But most can't. And even if you can, why the heck do that for one second? There are so many activities that will burn calories, and lots of them. Being on this forum you already have one of the most effective right there at the end of your right wrist, and I don't mean Saucing the taco (Beating the bishop, Burping the worm, Auditioning Your Hand Puppet). Braaap!!!
    Exactly why I mtn bike so much. Also why I go on longer less intensive rides regularly. Burn more calories, put the body under more duress.
    , build more endurance. During the week I do shorter mote intense rides to build strength, running harder to pedal gears, etc.
    If you want to build endurance on the motorcycle, this is a sure fire way to do it. Firends of mine and his son race HS's. Already racing A group, but were finishing mid pack, 4-5th at best. Bot into riding mtn bikes with me, rode 2 to 3 times a week and started competing for wins. Losing weight is a matter of how much and what you eat, as mentioned. Haha. I am not losing as much because I like to eat and am not going to suffer. Haha.. I exercise so I can eat.
    2017 Husky TC 250
    2012 200XCW

Past bikes:
    '09 105 XC
    '08 85 XC
    '13 150 SX
    '14 200 W
    '15 150 SX, converted to 200 E start
    '08 65 XC
    '10 300 XC
    '13 350 XCF
    '05 200 EXC #2
    '06 200 W
    '07 85 SX
    '12 350 XCF
    '12 150SX, converted to a 200 SX/W
    '08 200 SXC
    '02 50 SA
    '08 65 SX
    '05 200 EXC
    '05 250 EXC
    '07 250 SX
    '07 250 SXF
    '06 300 XCW
    '04 300 EXC
    A big thanks to FTI Racing!

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    Seems like fitness shouldn't be an issue with your workout routine, but it sounds like you're losing the battle with your fork. You are going to have to cut down on you food intake, don't think more exercise is reasonable with your lifestyle. Start writing down everything you eat each day and the calories, bet you will be surprised. Get it down between 1500-1800, you'll need to fine tune that for your body and metabolism. Don't count on it being easy or there would be a lot of skinny people running around.
    DK
    Working out heavily, or just normal days, don't think I would be fun to be around on that many calories. When I do long rides, I stay hungry for a day or two.
    2017 Husky TC 250
    2012 200XCW

Past bikes:
    '09 105 XC
    '08 85 XC
    '13 150 SX
    '14 200 W
    '15 150 SX, converted to 200 E start
    '08 65 XC
    '10 300 XC
    '13 350 XCF
    '05 200 EXC #2
    '06 200 W
    '07 85 SX
    '12 350 XCF
    '12 150SX, converted to a 200 SX/W
    '08 200 SXC
    '02 50 SA
    '08 65 SX
    '05 200 EXC
    '05 250 EXC
    '07 250 SX
    '07 250 SXF
    '06 300 XCW
    '04 300 EXC
    A big thanks to FTI Racing!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

My motivational input.

"can't never could"
    "If it doesn't challenge you, it will never change you"

Health and Fitness is not difficult but requires effort and a little knowledge.

Riding a dirt bike you know takes effort but it is not the same effort as doing a bur-pee or a jumping jack. Doing them is a supplement to your riding but riding harder and pushing yourself will build your endurance. There is a difference between exercise and training.

Eating, You're getting older and metabolism change, hormones change. You need to find your T.D.E.E and reduce your daily calories 200 to 500. You need to actually track your daily intake. A snickers here or a beer here really adds up quick. T.D.E.E calculators are online. A app like myfitnesspal to track calorie intake.

Eating or Fueling but never call it a diet because that is a short term thought process. What works for others may not work for you so experiment. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. There are studies that show process carbs and sugars cause inflammation. Studies also show where at certain times they are a benefit in your training.

Last motivational quote by the great Jerry Rice
    “Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't.”
    Marc Haught

Userid
    Images

Fear is the great motivator.......I was 155 and ate like a Teenager. Had a heart attack and cut out sugar and reduced carbs. I am 130lbs and that 25 pounds was almost all Internal Fat.....the kind that limits your breathing and flexibility when you bend and move! I feel so much better, and I didn't change a thing exercise wise. Diet over exercise is the way to sustain the weight IMO.

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by davek View Post
    DK
    That seems crazy. Are you actually eating meals with that small of a calorie intake? Or just supplementing with shakes & drinks? I'm sure I'm triple that. But I do eat healthy. Lots of fresh fruit & veggies. No fast food. Oh well. Time to dial it back more... I did drop 3 lbs this week by just being more focused. I'm going to try to get down to under 200 by Monday by eating healthy & exercising plenty this weekend
    2019 250 XC - first bike ever purchased brand new
    2015 250 XCW
    2010 250 XCF-W Champions Edition
    1997 KDX200
    Back into off road riding at 42 after about 20 yrs away from the sport

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast