Thread: How far out can I go with my compressions?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default How far out can I go with my compressions?

I have a 14 350sx. that is valved. for harescrambles.
    I am riding a lot of right rocky single track.
    My suspension feels pretty harsh.
    How far out can I back my compression out before I'm hitting harsher valving, too low in the stroke.
    This winter I will have my tuner soften the valving.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid
    Images

Default Re: How far out can I go with my compressions?

Keep opening it up until you notice an issue.
    John B - jejb@att.net
    "Home of the free, because of the Brave"
    19 250 TPI, 14 250XCW Six Days, The Torch (06 300XCW KTMtalk magazine bike), 98 125EXC
    Gone: 08 250XCW, 07 200XC, 06 300XCW, 04 250EXC, 03 450EXC, 01 400EXC, 99 250EXC, 98 380MXC, 98 200EXC
    Lifetime member of BRC
    Lifetime member of AMA
    My How-to's, KTM bulletins, etc.
    My KTM picture pages
    Razorback Riders Motorcycle Club
    Golden Eagles Motorcycle Club
    Wudi Forum

Userid
    Images

The base valve comp is not going to make a huge difference, you can open it up but usually changing the mid valve is the fix.

You could set your oil lower.
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

you say its been revalved, so that throws a big unknown sticking point, and you still say its harsh, so you may be already riding in the harsher part of the stroke.

But I 100% agree, start with the Oil height, thats going to equal a significant difference with low cost testing. Do you know where you oil height is at?

Like if you are running 100 or 110mm, you have ten to 20 mm of adjustment there, A lower oil height may cause you to have to up compression, yet it may turn out to be a plusher ride.

If you start bottoming , then you'll have to start reupping the oil height, in 5mm increments.
    Last edited by spud786; 09-15-2020 at 06:28 AM.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

There is a little over 30 clicks before it bottoms out and that wonít hurt a thing as it just comes to a positive stop opening them all the way might help try it.

Userid
    Images

On a new bike I use a binary search pattern to get me close to the final settings. This lets you feel definite changes but still get to effective settings quickly. A binary search is where you go halfway thru the data and check what you are looking at. If that isn't it you go halfway again / check. In our case, go halfway thru the clickers and see how it feels; then split the difference and move the clickers again. Keep doing this process - pretty soon the clickers are in the optimal range. If there is no optimal range it's time to call in your favorite tuner.
    Ken Powell
    2018 Husqvarna TX300
    2018 KTM 250 XC-W
    2003 KX125 with KDX220 motor & 2006 YZ250F SSS forks - added Rekluse EXP 3.0 designed for YZ125
    1979 Maico 250 Magnum
    Sold:
    2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in WP forks - Sold to son-in-law on 31 October 2014 due to injury - still ride it occasionally
    2003 YZ265WR (WR426 trans except YZ250 2nd gear) with 2005 Slavens revalved SSS forks - sold
    Many, many bikes until now...
    1963 Harley 175cc Scat - 1st motorcycle

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I'll send it out this winter. In the mean time, I'll do some testing and clicker adjustment.

Userid
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kenpowell View Post
    On a new bike I use a binary search pattern to get me close to the final settings. This lets you feel definite changes but still get to effective settings quickly. A binary search is where you go halfway thru the data and check what you are looking at. If that isn't it you go halfway again / check. In our case, go halfway thru the clickers and see how it feels; then split the difference and move the clickers again. Keep doing this process - pretty soon the clickers are in the optimal range. If there is no optimal range it's time to call in your favorite tuner.
    That sounds too drastic on WP stuff, halfway could go from too much one way to too much the other. I mean if you want drastic changes that would do it.
    I do kind of the opposite, 2 clicks, if nothing double it, and so on. So my change starts slow and goes up, yours does the opposite.
    No disrespect.
    Enduro Riders Association http://aces-races.com
    Current bikes.
    15 350 xcf-w 6 days
    14 350 xcf-w
    15 250 xcf-w Sons bike

Userid
    Images

But my method means you are in the sweet zone within 2 - 3 changes - then its fine tuning. You get immediate feedback that you went in the correct direction. Maybe not for everyone but it works for me. BTW, it's those last 2 clicks that are hard for me to decide upon.
    Ken Powell
    2018 Husqvarna TX300
    2018 KTM 250 XC-W
    2003 KX125 with KDX220 motor & 2006 YZ250F SSS forks - added Rekluse EXP 3.0 designed for YZ125
    1979 Maico 250 Magnum
    Sold:
    2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in WP forks - Sold to son-in-law on 31 October 2014 due to injury - still ride it occasionally
    2003 YZ265WR (WR426 trans except YZ250 2nd gear) with 2005 Slavens revalved SSS forks - sold
    Many, many bikes until now...
    1963 Harley 175cc Scat - 1st motorcycle

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

I think Kens way is a good way to start from scratch. If I got it right set clickers at halfway if to soft move them halfway again from that point to closed repeat thatís very logical and fast way to achieve your settings. Sometimes itís hard to tell the difference with one or two clicks especially if your starting from scratch. But to the original question donít be afraid to open or close it all the way During testing it wonít hurt the forks if you donít force it and weíll tell you if the adjustments are even capable of achieving what you want.
    Last edited by Betschet; 09-15-2020 at 11:53 PM.