Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not making it on fuel 2 hr race?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Blog Entries

Default Not making it on fuel 2 hr race?

Son ran out of fuel for the first time on my watch. I should have stopped him for fuel but was just one of those days.

We are running a 2019 TC150, IMS oversized tank, keihn carb.

Hard to believe there can be such a variation in fuel consumption between riders and similar bikes. Others are finishing with plenty of fuel left. We have ran multiple jetting with stock and now a new keihn. We can do some races on a tank but are on the razor edge of running out.

Anyway, not looking to change jetting, float levels or an electron carb. But I'm thinking he may be losing a bit fo fuel early on with the ful tank by squeezing it out with his legs. Not sure if it would even be worth the effort but I thought I read somewhere that guys were installing a 1 way valve in the overflow hose to prevent fuel from being pushed out?

Any thoughts or ideas to save a bit of fuel for those oh-so-close races. Last season, we could afford to stop and fuel, this season, I expect to possibly lose a position for stopping.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Default Re: Not making it on fuel 2 hr race?

Got your overflow hose looped?

Could add try to slightly inlarge the tank with hot water and a few psi of pressure..

Sounds like itís time for a dry break.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Depends on the soil for me
    sand sucks the fuel
    16 150sx
    can normally go 2 hours on 2.6 g xc tank
    gearing 13 50
    2016 ktm 150sx set-up for mx & offroad

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Real question is what did you loose by not stopping and running out?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Sounds like the Stewart Baylor problem. He has often complained that he cannot get the same fuel economy as his competitors. From him, contributing factors are his size (bigger and heavier), riding style (on/off as opposed to carrying momentum through the corners), and bad starts forcing more consumption to get to the front rather than getting the hole shot and managing the distance to second.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Blog Entries

Dry break would be nice, just money, right? Thought about it when we ordered the oversized tank but i got cheap. Not juts the fuel tank, the gas can to go with ain't cheap.

Haven't head about looping the vent hose? How does that help?

Only reason I thought about some type of check valve, one time, just before a race, I filled the tank to the brim, he jumped on the bike and was getting ready to take off, I panicked when I saw liquid running down the frame, did not know what it was at first. It was fuel gushing out of the vent hose where he was squeezing the tank with his knees. Not sure how much would actually push out before it got down low enough to stop.

I had heard about slightly pressurizing a warm tank to get a few more cups of fuel, just haven't tried it out yet.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

I know you said you have tried different jetting and don't want to mess with that, but on my bike the fuel mileage difference is crazy with different needles. I can finish a 2 hour race without stopping for gas now that I have changed needles. I actually run a bigger pilot and main than I did on the other needle that got the terrible fuel mileage

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

A check valve in the vent line is cheap and easy, check the ends of the carb vent lines after a hard ride for fuel if your loosing any to overflow it should show, like one of the other people sad ridding style and weight well also make a difference. Heck it could be any of the above or a little of everything. A quick way to tell if heís squeezing it out with his knees is to tape a small bottle to the vent line fill the tank and have him ride a few minutes and check it.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

If itís knees then he must go through riding pants often? My guess is the fuels expanding. Two hours should be possible on a stock tank for woods type use. Are you riding WOT desert/sand?

I agree on the needle having a big influence on fuel use. Thatís where Iíd be looking and the float levels to make sure itís not just pouring out the bottom vent.

Userid

Route the bottom float chamber vent/overflow tube as pictured. Turn the fuel petcock to the OFF position when storing the bike. This vent/overflow hose is not used on the Lectron or Smart Carb, and that contributes to those carbs getting better mileage in situations like this.

If there has been a significant reduction in mileage , then the float needle isn't holding the fuel back in rougher riding conditions and it may be sticking open. Replace the float needle and lower the float level 1-2mm as a preventative measure. The float should angle slightly away from the chamber's sealing surface at that point, while holding the carb at a 60 degree angle from inverted.

The Keihin PWK carb float height check is below-

Mikuni TMX float measurement-

www.JDJetting.com
    JDJetting support- Tech@JDJetting.com
    '21 KTM 500 EXCF w/JD EKI Tuner
    '18 TE250i TPI, Now a 300i, JD EFI 250/300 Tuner
    '18 300 XCW - Mikuni TMX JDJet Kit (S-4 Needle Jet), Jet Block Gasket Fix
    '17 FE450 w/JD EFI Tuner
    '08 530EXC FCR Carb Kit, Dual Spray Accelerator Pump, Motard Wheels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast