Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Base valves stuck

Userid

Default Re: Base valves stuck

A t-handle with a nice flat ground down six point socket as the others mentioned work well as it distributes the load more evenly than just hitting the handle of a wrench or ratchet. An impact with said socket is best if t-handle doesn't work. Don't forget to generous with penetrating oil.
    MOR

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

Clamp the axle lug in a vice bottom up, take your prepared socket Set it on the base bolt and hit it with a hammer a few Times not real hard you just want to shock the bolt. Shocking the bade bolt we’ll help loosen any corrosion. Then heat it and try your impact on it, there is a copper compression ring so it shouldn’t lock up unless someone did something stupid like red thread lock or cross threaded. Heating well help with thread lock and the expansion we’ll help loosen things. Just be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
    Well there is. A tie down to compress the forks a few inches will secure the cartridge in place and allow you to torque to spec.
    It thought on the 4CS the base valve threads into the bottom of the insert that holds the midvalve cartridge, not the fork leg. Which just spins freely when you try to loosen the dang thing. I may be thinking of another model, but I know the 02-03 era is like this, I just did one last week.
    1999 300 MXC
    1999 250 EXC

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by RodC View Post
    It thought on the 4CS the base valve threads into the bottom of the insert that holds the midvalve cartridge, not the fork leg. Which just spins freely when you try to loosen the dang thing. I may be thinking of another model, but I know the 02-03 era is like this, I just did one last week.
    You very well may be right. If so, I apologize as I am thinking OC and I am not schooled in 4CS.
    Suffer Fools, Gladly!

Riding the TAT?
    Check out my TAT SHAK Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/TAT-SHAK-105697757902214/

Pete P - wfopete@aol.com
    2006 300XC, 1980 YZ465, 1971 CZ250, 1973 Penton Jackpiner (2), 1970 Hodaka ACE 100, 1974 YZ250, 1973 CR250, 1985 XR350R, 1986 XR250R, 1974 TM400, 1975 TS400, 1974 Husky CR250, 2012 Yamaha Tenere', 1984 KDX200

Member:
    BRC Lifetime
    AHRMA
    AMA Lifetime
    CCC of Michigan
    Adventure Riders of Arkansas

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Betschet View Post
    Clamp the axle lug in a vice bottom up, take your prepared socket Set it on the base bolt and hit it with a hammer a few Times not real hard you just want to shock the bolt. Shocking the bade bolt we’ll help loosen any corrosion. Then heat it and try your impact on it, there is a copper compression ring so it shouldn’t lock up unless someone did something stupid like red thread lock or cross threaded. Heating well help with thread lock and the expansion we’ll help loosen things. Just be careful.
    ^^^This^^^

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

Tried everything suggested here. Penetrating oil, ground flat socket, smacked it with hammer,electric impact,air impact,heat. Will not budge. Neither fork. Pisses me off. PR2 needs to make this right.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

Yes your right about that you shouldn’t have any problem with a impact the last set I did I used my little Makita 12v impact driver maybe 80 ft lb max no problem and those hadn’t been serviced in years. Take them back to the shop and explain the issue and see what they do to resolve it. Sorry your having so much trouble with it and hope it all works out.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by ridenazi View Post
    Tried everything suggested here. Penetrating oil, ground flat socket, smacked it with hammer,electric impact,air impact,heat. Will not budge. Neither fork. Pisses me off. PR2 needs to make this right.
    Get a propane torch set up from home depot, They must have loctited the crap out of it and over tightened. Heat the foot, not the chrome.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

Already tried heat on fork lugs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12