Thread: New to us 2017 Ktm 50sx questions for trail none race riding clutching and gearing

Userid

Default New to us 2017 Ktm 50sx questions for trail none race riding clutching and gearing

We just upgraded from a honda 50 to a 2017 KTM 50sx. We only trail ride and have a few tracks we also ride from time to time. The bike is completely stock but the second time we went out I noticed some coolant dripping out after 30/40 minutes of riding so I got him
    to turn it off and park it. I changed the gear oil and run the KTM stuff and pulled the clutch cover off, I think it was set to 8 clicks..... I changed it to 9 clicks but havnt tested it yet. What should I set it too if we are not racing MX? I also thought maybe I should
    change the gearing to maybe a 10T front sprocket to slow the bike down a bit and give more grunt as we dont need to go 40mph.

Any help or suggestions would be very apprechiated. I want to get him on a 65 but at the time he is still 6 turning 7 and for trail riding needs to be able to put feet down.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Default Re: New to us 2017 Ktm 50sx questions for trail none race riding clutching and gearin

he does seem to blip the throttle a lot which might be because of the high speed. then seems to go then hold it at like half throttle so it sounds like baaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww. Yes I know just trying to give the best info I can typing lol

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: New to us 2017 Ktm 50sx questions for trail none race riding clutching and gearin

It overheat because the clutch is slipping too much. Going down on the front sprocket is good idea. For the clutch with a blipper kid you need to find the spot (clickers) where it engages soon enough and doesn't slip due to not enough centrifugal force...good luck with that, I never found it ! My son toast an engine and was the slower on the track
    Maybe with a smaller front sprocket you can stay around 6/7 clicks.
    This clutch is only good for WOT kids on MX track. We switched to Cobra because I was tired of the overheating issue, I was in stress at every ride even with the Intuitive clutch.
    Bye bye France, finally back to Texas !

Userid

even with the clutch change ? yikes and thats like a 1000$ upgrade for use north of the border. So if he is bliping the throttle should I have the clutch set to 6/7 or leave it at 8/9? I thought the lower the clicks the easier it over heats ?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Let say at 9 click the clutch engage at 8500 rpm, when the kid blip he goes from 6500 to 9000 so it's not always engage and all the time it's not it's creating heat. If you set it at 5 click it gonna engage at 7000 rpm (?), it will run less time not engage BUT with less rpm it has less centrifugal force so it mays not lock and slip (=> heat). The difficulty is to find the spot where it engage early enough and still lock. It works better with brand new disks but very soon they start to slip and need more centrifugal force (rpm) to lock.
    The best thing to do is to fix the rider...my boy issue was the noise that was scaring him. I tried to plug his hears but he didn't want it . He didn't do better with the cobra but the clutch is overheating less. We got an electric KTM and in 10 min in the backyard (little) he was ripping it. When we went back on the cobra problem solved and he is now winning the local races. For 3 years I couldn't make it happen and the electric fixed it in 10 minutes !!!
    Bye bye France, finally back to Texas !