Thread: Rider eases off as powerband begins to hit. Advice?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Rider eases off as powerband begins to hit. Advice?

Looking for some advice, my 7.5 year old son has 58 hours on his 2017 KTM 50 that we bought last year. He gets around on it pretty well but, he's definitely easing off as soon or shortly after the bike gets on the pipe. We're running the stock gearing 11/40, the IRP clutch set at the midpoint for stall speed, a Pax modified carb and a FMF turbinecore2 spark arrestor. The bike is pretty dialed and I'm generally happy about how it's running. However, the powerband does hit pretty hard and seems to spook my son. Any advice on smoothing out the hit? There are a few straightaways at our local track were he gets on it, but by no means is he tapping it out or railing turns wide open.

I've considered either; gearing it down 11/42 so that it revs faster and on to the pipe more quickly, this might just make it more pipey?
    or smoothing out the power with by gearing it up 11/38, bumping the IRP to the most aggressive setting and ditching the spark arrestor for a shorty.
    Thoughts? Thanks!

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: Rider eases off as powerband begins to hit. Advice?

Sounds exactly like my son ! I was pretty sure it was the noise and vibration that was scaring him and got an electric after 2 years trying everything I could think about (even plugging his hears). He took him 10 minutes to rip it and to be wide open everywhere. Luckily it did unlock something in his head and he started to be much faster on the gas bike.
    When it is in their head there is not much we can do, just be patient till it click...very frustrating ! I was taking advantage of his low speed to work on his technic. Today he is faster, he could be even more but he is still not yet at 100%, I call him "mister clean", very minimum mistakes and crash.
    Now his problem moved to the jumps, it takes him 20 plus attempt to go over his fair to stay on the gas and clear them. An other one we are working on .
    Good luck and be patient !
    Bye bye France, finally back to Texas !

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Thanks for the reply Thierry. Yes, Patience... Is there a mod for that? Our kids do sound very similar.
    We'll keep at it, try out some earplugs and tinker with some gearing. At the moment i'm leaning towards 11/42 so that he has no choice but to get that thing up on the pipe. Will report back if it yields any breakthroughs.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Sounds like you did a great job of dialing in that bike. Maybe too good actually. From my limited experience and going through this situation (i think 99% of us dads do). Tune it down. Ease the clutch setting. My kid got way way faster by easing the clutch setting. Then i walked it back up every oil change without telling him. There was a tipping point where the setting slowed him down again. So I walked it back down.
    Iím not very patient, but Iím very loving towards my kids. With that said, I made sure there were some limited areas where he had to run full throttle. No excuses. No exceptions. All other areas he can do what he wants. Then we just expanded on the full throttle sections of the track.
    Itís just like hitting doubles. 6 on the track. He hits one, rolls the rest. Then we walked the track, told him to pick the second double he wanted to hit, and he could roll 4 and hit only two.
    I treat it like any regular school sport. They have good and bad days. But progression Is the goal.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

For the mod like Garrett said make the bike as easy as you can and go up with his progression. Work only a little portion of the track, they get confidence when they repeat 20 times the same straight /turn in a short time. Pick a straight without jump when you do that to limit the numbers of difficulties.
    Bye bye France, finally back to Texas !