Thread: DJH Carb rebuilding services review

KTMTalk Member
    Userid
    Images

Default DJH Carb rebuilding services review

Here is my review of DJH's carb rebuilding services.

I spent about a year rebuilding a 2006 525 EXC from the frame up. I have been a good auto mechanic most of my life, and am proficient with most things, including simple FCR carb rebuilding. So, I got everything I needed (mostly from JD Jetting and R&D Racing) and rebuilt the FCR-MX including the mid-body gaskets and slide plate. Simple enough. Well, after I got my 565 motor back from CAFlash, the bike would be very hard to start and just generally wasn't running very well no matter what I tried. At this point I had almost decided I would try out the Lectron carb, as they seem to get favorable reviews and are self adjusting for things like elevation, etc. $800 tho...not cheap.

So, at CAFlash's recommendation, I reached out to Dave (DJH) to see if he could do something for me based on my symptoms. I shipped the carb to him and had him go through it and verify my work and do a couple of extras that were recommended, such as boring it to 41mm. I also had him jet and modify it to best suit my 565's needs. I was pleasantly surprised to get the carb back in about a week.

So, how did it turn out?

VERY nice indeed! I was surprised how quickly it started up, and idles and runs very well. Dave also provided my a spreadsheet itemizing everything that was done along with the specs and parts that were used. Turns out eh R&D bowl I had put on for some reason was not pumping fuel. go figure. Anyhow, point is that I was not only able to resolve my issues and keep the stock carb setup (which I wanted to do) but it also cost me a fraction of the Lectron. Even better I was able to support someone in the process who has given so much to the KTM Talk community.

Thanks Dave! Your services are HIGHLY recommended!
    2006 525 -> 565 EXC - Finally running

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Userid

Default Re: DJH Carb rebuilding services review

Quote Originally Posted by tweakmon View Post
    Here is my review of DJH's carb rebuilding services.

I spent about a year rebuilding a 2006 525 EXC from the frame up. I have been a good auto mechanic most of my life, and am proficient with most things, including simple FCR carb rebuilding. So, I got everything I needed (mostly from JD Jetting and R&D Racing) and rebuilt the FCR-MX including the mid-body gaskets and slide plate. Simple enough. Well, after I got my 565 motor back from CAFlash, the bike would be very hard to start and just generally wasn't running very well no matter what I tried. At this point I had almost decided I would try out the Lectron carb, as they seem to get favorable reviews and are self adjusting for things like elevation, etc. $800 tho...not cheap.

So, at CAFlash's recommendation, I reached out to Dave (DJH) to see if he could do something for me based on my symptoms. I shipped the carb to him and had him go through it and verify my work and do a couple of extras that were recommended, such as boring it to 41mm. I also had him jet and modify it to best suit my 565's needs. I was pleasantly surprised to get the carb back in about a week.

So, how did it turn out?

VERY nice indeed! I was surprised how quickly it started up, and idles and runs very well. Dave also provided my a spreadsheet itemizing everything that was done along with the specs and parts that were used. Turns out eh R&D bowl I had put on for some reason was not pumping fuel. go figure. Anyhow, point is that I was not only able to resolve my issues and keep the stock carb setup (which I wanted to do) but it also cost me a fraction of the Lectron. Even better I was able to support someone in the process who has given so much to the KTM Talk community.

Thanks Dave! Your services are HIGHLY recommended!
    Yep! He is THE man.
    CAFlash, Travis etc. are also the Go to's here! Their services are worth every pennies.

I went from not knowing what a carburetor was to making my own BKMODs (and charging people for it). I went from using the dealership for an oil change to rebuilding my own transmissions. All that, thanks to these guys. Now I wrench all day, get into troubles sometimes, but I always find answers here and my knowledge just keep on increasing!
    Last edited by lhaluciol; 11-21-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    06' 625-SMC | Akrapovic Exhaust - My baby
    12' 350 XC-F | 06/2019
    05' 85-SX | For my 5'4" wife who does not ride it.
    02' 300 EXC |12/2018 | SOLD
    03' 250-EXC | SOLD
    03' 525-EXC | 02/2018 | SOLD

- A French head full of American mud -

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Very happy with my new carb. The old 450 runs sweet.

Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

A mans got to know his limits. Me included. Dave has spent the time splitting the carb bodies and learning so I refer those in need of that to to him.

Speaking of things I was finishing up an 03 525 to 565 build today and rejetting the carb like I do everyone.

everything cleaned up well in the carb and then I found out I was out of stock on the float needle seats special square edged oring.

goes around the brass seat on gen 2 03-05 fct-mxs.

i have dozens of most every carb part except for mid body gaskets but had used my last one up earlier and had forgotten to reorder it.

anyone have one to help out a rider.

Figures.everything else was going well. Motor turned over on the bench. Built compression and oil pressure. Ready to go.

arrrgh.
    Rfs DocBob

Current: rebuilt 560 smr motor:shipped
    520 to 613.p

ALL rfs engines available....other than 250s

2004 613 rfs titled
    2002 520 rfs titled
    2005 483 rfs titled
    1996 620 lc4 titled
    (2)2007 613's in the works

Userid

The O ring around the seat? I will send you one
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

Please. Thank you. Save me a trip.
    Rfs DocBob

520 to 613.p

2004 613 rfs titled
    2002 520 rfs titled
    2005 483 rfs titled
    1996 620 lc4 titled

Userid

Quote Originally Posted by caflash View Post
    A mans got to know his limits. Me included. Dave has spent the time splitting the carb bodies and learning so I refer those in need of that to to him.

Speaking of things I was finishing up an 03 525 to 565 build today and rejetting the carb like I do everyone.

everything cleaned up well in the carb and then I found out I was out of stock on the float needle seats special square edged oring.

goes around the brass seat on gen 2 03-05 fct-mxs.

i have dozens of most every carb part except for mid body gaskets but had used my last one up earlier and had forgotten to reorder it.

anyone have one to help out a rider.

Figures.everything else was going well. Motor turned over on the bench. Built compression and oil pressure. Ready to go.

arrrgh.
    I have a few too; I'm in Santa Clarita if you can't wait for shipping...
    021-047 from Sudco.
    06' 625-SMC | Akrapovic Exhaust - My baby
    12' 350 XC-F | 06/2019
    05' 85-SX | For my 5'4" wife who does not ride it.
    02' 300 EXC |12/2018 | SOLD
    03' 250-EXC | SOLD
    03' 525-EXC | 02/2018 | SOLD

- A French head full of American mud -

Userid

4 of them in the mail
    [URL=http://www.djhcyclesport.com
    Former Husky Dealer in the '70's, currently Sell Real Estate, Seattle area and as a hobby business I manufactor cam chain tensioners for the KTMs, do Carburetor modification & setup and valve work on KTM & Husky 4 strokes. Full stock of parts for the KTM's. My rides are; Cadillac Escalade (the 1/2 pickup version), 72 ElCamino 454SS, and Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, Iron Butt member

Userid
    Blog Entries
    Images

You read my mind on the quantity. Thanks.
    Rfs DocBob

520 to 613.p

2004 613 rfs titled
    2002 520 rfs titled
    2005 483 rfs titled
    1996 620 lc4 titled