Thread: Any small clutch adjustments NOT including lever adjustments?

Userid

Default Any small clutch adjustments NOT including lever adjustments?

Hi all. As the hours rack up on my bike, Iíve noticed the clutch drag gets worse. 2009 200XC, original Magura clutch, plates, basket (no grooving visible from oil fill), approx 250 original hrs on bike. I do have the Midwest lever, and love it. I know some here will say thatís the problem, but it wasnít there in the beginning (I purchased it around 100 hrs ago).

Iím extremely light (130 without gear) and have the gearing down with a W trans, 14/50. Modded head. So even though I ride slow tech, I keep clutch feathering to a minimum with the help of my mods.

Iíve tried a thinner gasket at the slave, but it just made the clutch slip. And with the Midwest lever, it uses the full range of lever motion. So thereís not really leeway there, at least not that Iím aware of. Am I stuck going back to the original lever? To get the adjustment back? I hope not, because the clutch pull is like butter now. Am I missing anything else? TIA

Edit: Iíll add, too, that itís not bad. It will idle in first, clutch pulled fully. But itís getting difficult to start in gear, and itís really difficult (nearly impossible) to find N while idling/sitting still.
    Last edited by Bron-Yr-Aur; 11-21-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    "That's what you get for pretending the danger's not real" - RWaters

"I have loved some ladies, and I have loved Jim Beam,
    And they both tried to kill me, in 1973" - HWJr

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

Default Re: Any small clutch adjustments NOT including lever adjustments?

Just an FYI, you cant always see the grooving from the oil fill hole. A new basket and inner hub are like getting a new set of glasses, I always say - "Dang, I should have done that sooner"

The plates being slightly warped will also cause the issues you are describing.
    1999 300 MXC
    1999 250 EXC

Userid

Thanks, Rod. I guess I need to pull the clutch and inspect the plates and basket more closely to be sure

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

The symptoms can be from inside the clutch like worn plates or grooved basket hanging the plates up but it is a waste of time to go there unless you have the other half of the system 100%. A simple thing like dropping the bike on the left side can allow air to get into the line. It is especially important with that short stroke lever there is no air in the line. It is easy enough to purge and fill with a syringe of fresh fluid from the bottom up.I remove the bleed screw and wrap the threads with teflon tape to seal the threads when the bleeder is cracked enough to push in the fresh fluid. Just push the old out the opened master and any bubbles should go out with the old fluid.
    A quick field fix for a spongy clutch or front brake is to unbolt the master from the bar and hold it upright so any air can migrate up the line. Then jiggle the lever and when the bubbles escape the lever will firm up. If you are low on fluid the air can work its way back into the line so top it off when you can
    Victor

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The symptoms can be from inside the clutch like worn plates or grooved basket hanging the plates up but it is a waste of time to go there unless you have the other half of the system 100%. A simple thing like dropping the bike on the left side can allow air to get into the line. It is especially important with that short stroke lever there is no air in the line. It is easy enough to purge and fill with a syringe of fresh fluid from the bottom up.I remove the bleed screw and wrap the threads with teflon tape to seal the threads when the bleeder is cracked enough to push in the fresh fluid. Just push the old out the opened master and any bubbles should go out with the old fluid.
    A quick field fix for a spongy clutch or front brake is to unbolt the master from the bar and hold it upright so any air can migrate up the line. Then jiggle the lever and when the bubbles escape the lever will firm up. If you are low on fluid the air can work its way back into the line so top it off when you can
    I was assuming he had flushed and bled the system, but that is another thing that is often over looked. There isn't a lot of fluid in there, and it does get rough looking pretty fast.
    1999 300 MXC
    1999 250 EXC

Userid

Thanks guys for the additional input. Rod you are correct. I forgot to put in my OP that earlier in the season I flushed the system (along with my brakes). The clutch isnít spongy at all, still feels identical since I purchased the bike. It just feels like itís become slightly out of adjustment. But I donít have the leeway with the lever that I would with the stock one.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by Bron-Yr-Aur View Post
    Thanks guys for the additional input. Rod you are correct. I forgot to put in my OP that earlier in the season I flushed the system (along with my brakes). The clutch isnít spongy at all, still feels identical since I purchased the bike. It just feels like itís become slightly out of adjustment. But I donít have the leeway with the lever that I would with the stock one.
    The stock lever pushes more fluid and can perform with a small amount of air (which is compressible) in the line. The easy pull levers do not move as much fluid so any air in the line makes a bigger difference. it does not need to feel spongy like a brake that is pushing against a steel disc. It is pushing against a spring to release that moves the pressure plate. But it will not move the pressure plate enough to fully disengage the plates.
    I have found most problems from air in the line and often from freshly changed fluid. Easy to get in there and hard to get out unless you do what i described in the previous answer. i am only re explaining as your last post does not say you tried those few tips. There is less room for error with the easy pull lever. I have used them on my 2011 and it works perfectly so it is not the levers fault.
    If you really want to test the system remove the slave and clamp the piston so it cannot push out of the bore and pump away with the lever. The lever should be rock solid when the piston reaches its end travel. Once you know for sure then if you have problems you can look inside the clutch assembly.
    Victor

Userid

Thanks, Victor. Excellent explanation 👍
    Iíll do that and report back. Being that itís not a bad problem, I might not get to it immediately. Still want to take advantage of this unbelievable reprieve weíre getting from what should be winter-like weather. But I'm hoping to address it over vacation next weekend.

Rod, youíre in my area. You still riding a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Bron-Yr-Aur View Post
    Thanks, Victor. Excellent explanation 
    Iíll do that and report back. Being that itís not a bad problem, I might not get to it immediately. Still want to take advantage of this unbelievable reprieve weíre getting from what should be winter-like weather. But I'm hoping to address it over vacation next weekend.

Rod, youíre in my area. You still riding a bit?
    We rode all day today. We pretty much ride year round. If it gets below 20 we will cut it short, but we enjoy the 30-40 degree rides. You should come down this way sometime, there will be at least 3 of us, and up to 8 for most rides. We have lots of single track and some open stuff as well.
    1999 300 MXC
    1999 250 EXC

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

If it is just a minor problem do the field fix. With a full master hold it up with the line straight up. Only two bolts so it takes minutes. Wiggle and jiggle the lever to work any air bubbles up the line and out. No need to pump the lever full travel. Just trying to get bubbles out the little port passage. Works for spongy front brakes same way.
    Victor