Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WP Xplor - I'm an IDIOT!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default WP Xplor - I'm an IDIOT!

I'm hoping for a bit of advice after I made a mistake. I've never had forks serviced before as I've always sold the bike before it was needed. This set has Kreft Revalve control so I'm swapping them onto my new bike. Long story short, when the technician asked me the oil wt I wanted, I said 15wt. Usually my memory is good and I swear that's what I remembered reading from Kreft. They completed the service and now that I'm looking through my Kreft paperwork I realize it was supposed to be 5wt!

My question is, can I remove the top cap from the fork tube, dump the oil out, measure it and then replace with the proper weight oil? Or do I have to remove the springs and go through the whole oil change process? AArrggg... I hate it when I make mistakes like this.

Any help would be appreciated.

2.    Sponsored Links

LOGIN AND CLICK THE SHOP ONLINE LINK FOR THE DISCOUNT

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Default Re: WP Xplor - I'm an IDIOT!

You could do that. Leave it inverted for at least an hour. Measure whatís out accurately and put same 5wt back in. Any residual 15wt will just mix in.

Might be worth a ride just to see how the 15wt affects the forks first? Easy to change at any stage.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by pindie View Post
    You could do that. Leave it inverted for at least an hour. Measure whatís out accurately and put same 5wt back in. Any residual 15wt will just mix in.

Might be worth a ride just to see how the 15wt affects the forks first? Easy to change at any stage.
    Thank you. Yes, I figure if I get the majority of it out and fill with 5wt it will be close enough. I was mainly concerned if I could just dump oil back into the fork without doing the whole process of removing the springs and cycling it?

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Actually if you liked the forks before, you should find out what oil they ran, cause every 5 weight differs to some degree. But 15 weight will be significant compression and rebound difference, and at the very least you'd have to adjust that with major clicker changes. and generally going to a 15 weight from a 5 weight you'd need less oil.

so try it, and see how horrible it is( or not), but redo over with 5 weight and rebleed , if you are going back into the forks.

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by spud786 View Post
    Actually if you liked the forks before, you should find out what oil they ran, cause every 5 weight differs to some degree. But 15 weight will be significant compression and rebound difference, and at the very least you'd have to adjust that with major clicker changes. and generally going to a 15 weight from a 5 weight you'd need less oil.

so try it, and see how horrible it is( or not), but redo over with 5 weight and rebleed , if you are going back into the forks.
    Ya I'm not even going to bother riding it. They used 5wt before and I had it dialed in perfectly. I just want to dump the oil and refill with the least amount of hassle.

Edit. Oh I see what you are saying... What brand? It was 5wt KYB 01M. They got filled with Motorex 15wt.
    Last edited by SoftOption; 11-21-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Userid

You will get more of the old oil our if you pull the base valves and drain, then tip the forks sideways to drain the bottoming cups then tip the fork up again. If you don't have a 17mm hex a coupling nut works for pulling the base valves.
    '18 300XCW,
    '18 TX300,
    '04 200SX
    '99 380EXC,
    '93 CR250

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Quote Originally Posted by SoftOption View Post
    Ya I'm not even going to bother riding it. They used 5wt before and I had it dialed in perfectly. I just want to dump the oil and refill with the least amount of hassle.

Edit. Oh I see what you are saying... What brand? It was 5wt KYB 01M. They got filled with Motorex 15wt.
    I give an example, Honda ss8 is a 10 weight, but its much heavier than Maxima 10 weight , and it varies from brand to brand.

Userid
    Images

If you want to compare suspension fluid viscosity go to this site and scroll down about half way.
    https://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/in...spension_Fluid
    Ken Powell
    2018 Husqvarna TX300
    2018 KTM 250 XC-W - sold 7 Oct 2020
    2003 KX125 with KDX220 motor & 2006 YZ250F SSS forks - added Rekluse EXP 3.0 designed for YZ125
    1979 Maico 250 Magnum
    Sold:
    2012 KTM 300 XC with YZ SSS cartridges in WP forks - Sold to son-in-law on 31 October 2014 due to injury - still ride it occasionally
    2003 YZ265WR (WR426 trans except YZ250 2nd gear) with 2005 Slavens revalved SSS forks - sold
    Many, many bikes until now...
    1963 Harley 175cc Scat - 1st motorcycle

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Thanks guys!

KTMTalk Member
    Userid

Iím fairly sure KYB 01M is not a 5wt oil. I donít think they make a 5wt?
    01M is a thinner oil. More like a 3-4wt not 5. Itís great for using on an over damped fork on 5wt but putting it in a fork with little damping already then it might get very springy indeed. Itís really great performance oil though. I use it in my cone valves and sphere. Gives a great supple and fast reacting ride. Itís not cheap though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast